Incident at the Movie Theater

"The screen is a magic medium. It has such power that it can retain interest as it conveys emotions and moods that no other art form can hope to tackle."

- Stanley Kubrick

I had the day off from work this past Tuesday so I engaged in one of my favorite activities, going to the movies. I would consider myself a big movie buff, and while I enjoy watching movies at home, whether it be by DVD or streaming or any other format, I would consider seeing a movie on the big screen to be the best way to experience a film. I ended up watching two films on the big screen; I used my MoviePass for one and paid discounted Tuesday prices for another.

In the late afternoon I watched Crazy Rich Asians, which I loved.



But before that I watched the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's a movie I've seen on DVD a few times, and I've read the book series by Arthur C. Clark. Recently it was not only rereleased to theaters for its fiftieth anniversary, but also put onto IMAX. I thought to myself, "That's something I need to see."



So I went to the my local movie theater and got a ticket for the sci-fi classic. I sat there enthralled by the experience of seeing this film on the big screen. The drama seemed heightened and there were moments that even felt creepy, due to the mixture of the bigger screen and the enhanced sound. After the scene in which the HAL 9000 computer is seen lip reading the astronauts, there was an intermission. I went to the restroom and came back. As the movie began to play again I saw an elderly couple come in. Originally there were only four of us in the theater to see this 1960s science fiction film play on a Tuesday morning, so it was obvious when someone new came in.

The wife kept saying in a voice meant to be quiet (but actually loud), "We need to be quiet, we need to be quiet..." over and over again before they sat down. The other three members of the audience moved away so that they could hear the movie better. The husband happens to be sitting right below me, and as he slowly sits down he temporarily blocks my view of the vastness of space. They sat down, and the husband looks up into the movie screen. He then exclaimed, "WOW! Those crazy rich Asians even own a spaceship!"

The wife looks down at her ticket, turns to her husband, and says, "I think we're in the wrong theater." And then they left, leaving the rest of us to watch the rest of the movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Imagination to Accept Facts

Me vs. Cracked.com

The Jetsons' Car That Turns Into a Suitcase