The Man on the Bus Who Said He Controlled the Weather



One day a few years back I went to downtown Seattle for a job interview. Once it was finished I took the bus to get back home. While waiting for the bus, a couple of people asked if I was a Jehovah's Witness, and I answered no; this seemed to happen to me whenever I got dressed up in a suit and tie for a job interview. On the bus there was a man of generous proportions, dressed in grey sweatpants and a matching sweatshirt, with the addition of a bike helmet on his head. If the fellow bus rider didn't say anything I wouldn't have paid him much mind, and would have occupied myself with either my phone or the book I was reading at the time. But alas, he opened his mouth and I couldn't help but listen to him.

"I'm a multibillionaire," said the grey sweatpants wearing gentleman. He spoke to another bus rider, and not to me, although I was within earshot.

"Really?" said the other bus driver. Based on the tone of his voice, I honestly couldn't tell whether he truly believed him or was simply humoring him.

"Yes," said the man. "I am the richest man in the world, and nobody knows it, and I control the economy, but I like to take the bus every now and then to get in touch with the commoners of this Earth."

"Huh," said the other bus rider.

"I've also taken a bike and ridden across the United States," said the man in sweatpants.

"Okay, cool," said the other bus rider. While I was listening to the man ramble (I honestly couldn't help it since he was pretty loud) I figured it would be wise not to actually engage with him.

"And I control everything!" continued the man in sweatpants. "The economy! The government! Who the President is! When and where we go to war! I even control the weather with my inventions!" He took a breath before continuing. "There is no God! But I am the closest thing to a god there is on this Earth!"

He got off at the next bus stop, apparently to continue bike riding and secretly ruling the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Imagination to Accept Facts

Me vs. Cracked.com

The Jetsons' Car That Turns Into a Suitcase