Why I Think Cinemas Should Still Exist

            I came across a news article on my Facebook feed, and was reading some of the comments on it. The article and the comments were in response to the latest Christopher Nolan movie “Tenet” being pushed back until a later date. At least one of the commenters was saying that maybe it’s time movie theaters go extinct, like the way video rental stores are virtually non-existent. They reasoned that with the advancements in home media technology, and with the addition of this pandemic, that it was time to be done with movie theaters for good.  
            Personally I think movie theaters still have a place in our society, and should continue to exist.
            Granted, at this point in time I think it’s beyond wise for movie theaters to withhold putting their films into theaters, thanks to this pandemic. And there have been a few movies that have had straight-to-video and streaming releases thanks to this worldwide situation. For example, movies made primarily for children such as “Trolls World Tour” and “Scoob!” have gone this route, making a ton of money with video-on-demand and keeping cooped up kids entertained.
             But I don’t think we should just throw out the bath with the bathwater. While I definitely enjoy being able to watch a movie in the comfort of my home, I also love to see films on the big screen. It’s a completely different experience, and some movies are done much better justice with this truly cinematic experience. There have even been times in which I have watched not just a newly released film in a theater, but rereleases that I could have easily watched at home, because I wanted that big screen experience. A couple of years ago I went and saw a special 50th anniversary screening of “2001: A Space Odyssey,” a film I had seen on DVD multiple times before, but was blown away by still when seeing it on the big screen. 


            Along with this pandemic, another reason I think some people are thinking we should go away with movie theaters is due to the rapid pace of technology, especially digital and entertainment technology. I was in middle school when DVDs were truly starting to rise, and people thought of them as the wave of the future. Now people seldom buy DVDs (maybe occasionally purchasing a Blu-Ray), and are opting for digital downloads and streaming services. But cinemas have survived, and perhaps even thrived, with the rise of home entertainment. In fact when television first became a thing, people wondered if movie theaters would survive, and they have.
            In fact with the pandemic, another type of theater, the drive-in, has risen. I’ve been to a couple of the remaining drive-in theaters in Washington and Florida, and it was a fun experience. While many see drive-ins as relics from the 1960s, people are coming to them because they can watch a film on the big screen and still practice social distancing. So yes, even in these increasingly technologically advanced times, there is a demand to see a film on the big screen rather than on a television or laptop.
            Also keep this in mind. Even with the pandemic, no one is stating that we should get rid of either live concerts or sporting events in the future post-pandemic world. Music fans are not going, “Oh we should stop going to see our favorite bands play live and just listen to their music on our phones.” Sports fans are not going, “Ehhh… I’ll just watch the big game on my laptop.” Personally as a film fan, I don’t think movie theaters should go away either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Imagination to Accept Facts

Me vs. Cracked.com

The Jetsons' Car That Turns Into a Suitcase